Monday, August 20, 2012

"Melon Heads" Is Coming

I have recently made the executive decision to self-publish my short story "Melon Heads" on Amazon.com (for the Kindle) and Smashwords (for other e-readers).  One of my former co-workers has offered to illustrate it for me.  I might post the cover art here at some point when it's done.

"Melon Heads" began in 2003 or 2004, during my first semester at the University of Georgia.  I was looking around online and came across the Melon Heads on an urban legends website.  I can't find the original link, but the gist of the story can be found here.

I wrote a short story fairly quickly, since I didn't think anyone had ever made a creature-horror story about the Melon Heads, but was unable to sell it.  In retrospect, the early drafts of the story were far too bare-bones and lacked characterization.  The current version combines elements of dark humor with a straight-up horror tale.  Although there's now at least one direct-to-video horror film about the Melon Heads, that may be a bonus--people are now more aware of the Melon Heads and might be interested in hearing more.

I will keep you all posted on the progress of my plan.  Should this prove successful, there might be more fiction going up on Amazon and Smashwords.

No comments:

Post a Comment