Monday, June 8, 2020

ConFinement Impromptu Convention Set for 6/12-14 in Dalton, GA

Owing to the coronavirus epidemic, I wasn't anticipating attending any conventions until the Atlanta Comic-Con July 31 to August 2 or the Atlanta Sci-Fi and Fantasy Expo, originally slated for March but punted to August 15-16. Since books are non-perishable, I figured I'd sit on my inventory and wait.

Then I learned through Facebook about ConFinement, an impromptu convention organized through the group Emergency Holographic Summer Convention. If you join the group, you'll be able to see and sign up for the event. From the look of it, it's being organized by a bunch of people slated to attend LibertyCon and when that was canceled, organized this one instead. At least one official from Baen Books is going to be coming. It's going to be 6/12-14 at the Econo Lodge in Dalton, GA. Address: 1507 N. Tibbs Road, Dalton, GA, 30720.

Here's the full schedule:

Friday, June 12, 2020

10:00 AM - 1:00 PM: Trip to a nearby shooting range

2:00 PM - 3:00 PM: Opening Ceremonies and Cocktails

3:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Random Author BS Session

9:00 PM - 11:00 PM: No Kidding, There I Was (True War Stories from veterans, agents, and others)

Saturday, June 13, 2020

10:00 AM - 11:00 AM: How A Convention Actually Runs--not this emergency seat of the pants thing, but a real one.

10:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Improvised Workout Panel (proper name to follow), MEETS IN PARKING LOT

11:00 AM - 1:00 PM: Classic Weapons Show and Tell--A handful of exotic items you won't get to see often

1:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Doc Osborn's Science and Climate Presentation--What Do The Stars Say To Actual Scientists

4:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Baen Traveling Roadshow, The Cozy Edition (tentative)

6:00 PM - 7:00 PM: Operation Blazing Sword

9:00 PM - 11:00 PM: I Hate Trek--by people who hate Trek so much they've seen every episode at least twice and taken notes

Sunday, June 14, 2020

11:00 AM - 1:00 PM: How Do We Research All This Stuff?

I'm going to be selling books at the event on Saturday and Sunday. Last time I was in North Georgia (a toy/game show in Dalton and the Next Chapter Con in Ringgold), I had only The Thing in the Woods and The Best of Heroic Fantasy Quarterly Vol. 2 to sell. Now in addition to those, I've got my steampunk fantasy novel Battle for the Wastelands (and the companion e-novella "Son of Grendel"), the short-story collection Flashing Steel, Flashing Fire, and my bizarro novella Little People, Big Guns.

So if you're looking to get out of the house (don't worry, I'll be wearing a mask and I'll have hand sanitizing wipes for anybody who'd like them), come on by the Econo Lodge. With so many events being canceled, this seems like it'll be the first one since the lockdowns began and one of the few events for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment