Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Summer 2015 Movies I Want To See

The summer is when a lot of really fun movies come out, and so far this summer has been no exception. I really enjoyed Avengers: Age of Ultron and Mad Max: Fury Road, and those are the only two "summer movies" I've seen so far.

Here are some coming out later I'd like to see:

*San Andreas-Something tells me the science involved is going to be highly dubious (think The Day After Tomorrow), but I saw the film Volcano when I was a lot younger and I remember enjoying it. We shall see. I could definitely imagine sitting this one out, but the trailer I saw with Mad Max looks kind of cool.

*Spy-Most "super-spy" characters are male and those who aren't are generally conventionally attractive women. This film subverts that trope big-time and, from the commercials at least, looks pretty funny.

*Jurassic World-The most recent trailer looks somewhat disheartening by implying the monstrous Indominus rex can somehow communicate with other dinosaurs (as opposed to being smart enough to break open their cages to wreak havoc), but I'm still going to see it anyway. Myopia: Defend Your Childhood, the movie podcast I'm in, is going to be making this a special event. Plus it's got Chris Pratt training raptors into his personal posse. :)

*Terminator: Genisys: This looks like the one I'm most likely to skip after San Andreas, but some of the concepts like Sarah Connor being raised by the Terminator, Emilia Clarke (Danaerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones) as Sarah Connor, and the warlord John Connor somehow getting sent back the present day infected with a machine virus (it shows up in the most recent trailer) do seem interesting.

*Ant-Man-I haven't missed a single Marvel Cinematic Universe outing so far, and although I certainly complained about the big twist in Iron Man III, they were all good movies. Ant-Man has the post potential to be bad given how unimpressive the titular character's powers are, but Guardians of the Galaxy had the potential to be a train-wreck too and it turned out awesome. The MCU hasn't disappointed me yet...

*Fantastic Four-Unlike many others I enjoyed the previous FF films (the first one more so than the second), but this doesn't look bad. We shall see.

I've gotten more selective in my movie viewing these last few years and since I've got my graduate school comprehensive exams in middle and later June, I'll need to be more careful with my time. I doubt they'll be in and out of theaters in the meantime, but then again, Outlander (the one with the alien-human Beowulf and alien-monster Grendel, not the one with handsome Scots) wasn't in theaters that long either...

No comments:

Post a Comment