Wednesday, February 5, 2014

New Title for "The Thing In The Woods"

Here's an update on my primary writing project, the teen Lovecraftian horror novel The Thing In The Woods. When I brought the cover letter to my writing group for critique, pretty much everybody agreed that the title is lame. Since this is something I've had my doubts about for awhile now, this wasn't something I argued about.

One of the group members suggested I do a search for quotes from Shakespeare and use one of those as the title. After all, how does Something Wicked This Way Comes (an allusion to Macbeth) compare to The Devil in the Carnival?

Well, I couldn't find any relevant Shakespeare quotes, nor could I find any from Flannery O'Connor, William Faulkner, or H.P. Lovecraft (those would be best of all) I felt were appropriate. So I decided to come up with a new title based on the subject matter.

So behold, The God of the Wet Wood. The phrase "the wet wood" comes up in the novel itself, so it's appropriate.

Of course, the writing group is going to critique the entire novel Monday, so that might change.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for offering. I've changed the title back to THE THING IN THE WOODS for the moment, but I'm open to new suggestions.

    ReplyDelete